AugustQuicksilver Quips
August Quicksilver Quips

President's Message, August, 2000

Well - I survived another year of crewing Tevis.  When we arrived at Robinson
and were waiting for the shuttle they told us that there were already 26
horses in.  I was thinking about our rider in the vet check with no crew and
thinking Glaser and I were the "crew from hell" but we did manage to beat him
there and get all set up so that we looked competent.  The weather cooperated
this year but we had casualties.  My poor Scarlett was pulled for lameness at
70 miles.  I really wanted to see her finish.  Oh well, there is always next

The August meeting will be our usual barbecue at Trilby's.  I will see if I
can con Bing and Steve into getting the meat and drinks for the club to
provide and then everyone else can just bring a potluck dish to share.  We
should plan on starting about 6:00.  More later.


                AUGUST 2000

     August 5  Fireworks 25/50
        Liz Maitoza  831-763-7885

     August 9  Quicksilver Meeting
        Barbecue at Trilby's

     August 12  Swanton Pacific 100
        Barbara McCrary  831-423-4572

     August 12  Redwood 25/50
        Elaine Kerrigan  707-443-0215

     August 19   Eastern High Sierra Classic  25/50
        Jackie Bumgardner760-932-7716

Barbecue is always an informal get-together of good friends at Trilby's.  Just bring a pot-luck dish and the club
provides the rest.  For those new members who might not know the way to Trilby's, she is at 20535 Rome Drive
which is just before you get to the little town of New Almaden.  She can give you better directions than i can so call
her at 408-997-7500 if you are in doubt.

Speaking of Trilby, she is still trying to find  her two favorite chairs  that she lost at the Moonlight Ride. They were
green folding canvas chairs from Costco's and her name is one the tag on them.  She thinks someone grabbed
them in error, but she sure wants them back.  Please call her if you have seen them.

Jan Snyder has a new address.  She is up in the Gold Country that seems to attract so many of our Quicksilver members away from the Almaden area.  Her address is   4000 Buffalo Road, Auburn, CA 95602.  All of QUiCKSILVER wishes her well in her new home.

Quicksilver members Pat and Bob Verheul are having a super trip in Europe.  A July 15th e-mail says  “We are in southern Germany today.  We spent five days in Holland with my cousin and her husband.
They took us around the north part of Holland.  Tell Nancy  (Twight) we went
through Freisland where we saw Freisian horses everywhere. They are used for carriages, are solid black, and have beautiful long black hair on their lower legs.  We later saw some horse that looked just like Captain Midnight, with white blazes on their faces, but my cousin did not know what breed they were.  We are on our way to where we used to live to have dinner tonight with an old German friend and then it is off to join our tour tomorrow”  I think Berlin and Warsaw were next on the schedule.  Bob retired and they haven’t slowed down for even a minute.  Bob is studying geology at Cabrillo College and while Pat endurance rides, he walks around collecting different specimens and learning more about his new interest. Bob formerly worked for Lockheed and the Hubbell Space Telescope project.

   A hearty QUICKSILVER WELCOME to our newest member,
             Kathy Webster.
 Kathy lives at 542 Wurr Road, in Loma Mar.  Most of us know this beautiful area as Swanton Pacific Territory.

And a second hearty welcome to the bay filly that Becky Hart and Judith Ogus just welcomed into the family. The handsome Dad is Copper, the stallion that Judith and Becky have just sold. And the pretty mother is Skip Lightfoot’s mare, Spirit. Mother and child are flourishing.

Versatility is what it is all about.  So how about our Quicksilver junior who grew up to be a veterinarian and a true athlete?  Melissa Ribley completed a triathlon of a swim, bike ride and run. The swim was the hardest part she said.

Congratulations to Valorie Weizer on  her nice 3rd place finish at the Bandit Springs 100. Oh, yes.  Copper gets some of the credit tool!

Treasurers Report

General Account    $727.32
Ride Account         2167.13
Junior Account       756.32
Trails Account        836.36

TEVIS 2000 through the eyes of Steve Lenheim

This is the granddaddy of all endurance riding events. For some of us our whole year is planned around this one
event-to finish is to win. This year our club had Gloria Vanderford, Nancy Twight, Carolyn Tucker, Mike Tracy, Julie
Suhr, Michelle Shaw, Steve Lenheim, Rick Gomez, Mark Falcone and Ken Cook riding. In the end we finished
Michelle on Robin Hood (13th), Mike Tracy on Moon(45), Nancy on Tonto (61), Steve on Ibn Saam (84), Julie Suhr
on Razznan (114), Mark on Narev (119), and to be mentioned, Skip Lightfoot’s horse, Split (4).

Heather Bergantz also rode, but she paid her dues late, I think, so I missed her the first time around. From the club
crewing or just helping out I saw a lot of of faces. If it was a rock band you could call them fans because they were
the cheerful ones. Hey, maybe they were happy because they were not going to ride. Anyway, Pat McKendry was
working for Tevis, Robert and Melissa as Vets, Steve Shaw for Michelle, Maryben for Ken, Bob Suhr for his lovely
wife, Karen Dockendorf for Tevis, Nancy Elliot as a Vet., Judy Etheridge for ?, Traci Falcone for Mark, Joyce Gomez
for Rick, Judith Ogus for Julie. Skip Lightfoot was seen in the area, and others unknown to this writer with a short

We all had a great time! Tevis this year was very reasonable. Not the years of the past with the 110 degree heat
or strange happenings. The trail was quite well marked and except in the wilderness, had reasonable rock cover.
Water was everywhere and if you rode alone could stop and give the horse a drink on single track trails. Those that
tried with a train behind sure got yelled at. Holding up 30 people in a line causes remarks. Anyway, it
was no big deal as I experienced it. For the first time Tevis may have figured out the start. They let everyone string
out over a 1/2 mile and asked the go-fast folks to ride up to the front to start. Yes, it was dusty but no problem with
go-fast and go-slow people as they were not mixed in. I picked the middle and just set out for Squaw. At the
Highway 89 crossing we cut along a new trail (narrow) rather than going through the town. Here I came across a
rider without a horse.

First accident.  Left her with out a way to get to Auburn. Up an over the top! Down in the Wilderness. Five hours
and here we are in Robinson Flat. One hour hold and go, go, go.  But on my heels none other than Julie Suhr and
Barbara White. I hooked with Hal Hall and got an education on the many years he has been down that trail. You feel
a lot better when you ride with the great one! I heard that later he, Julie and Barbara rode to finish arguing over
what of the 68 (?) buckles between them was the hardest to earn. What a threesome. Dusty Corners was Great! The
weather was 87 degrees, the watermelon very sweet, and the horse in good spirits and not lame.

I got pulled here in '97', lame on the left front. You do not want to get the truck ride in from here. It's a long way;
shorter to walk the trail. Anyway, Yahoo, here comes Julie and Barbara so I better move on into the canyons. The
canyons were not the Ogre (folklore: a man-eating giant, hideous and cruel) of past trips. The breeze was sweet and
cool and except for the good old swinging bridge, no big deal. Take it easy, go up slowly and save your horse for
the victory lap.

Into Pacific Slab Mine I rode where the first face I saw was Heather's. She thought she might ride out bareback as
Red was lame and pulled (by the way, Heather, I thought were going to take it easy, I saw your picture on the net
and I think you were 5th). This is a great rest and vet check area. Slightly crowded as they were taking a
long time to vet but worth it as the horses were all gobbling down hay, and riders, watermelon. Oh, Oh, here comes
Julie so I better get out of here.

Deadwood is dead wood. Just the normal vet check an into the El Dorado Canyon. Good trail down and a good trail
up. I rode with Matt Medeiros and got a lesson on the finer points of mule shoeing. His wife, Tamara, was riding an
ex-club member, Miss Scarlet O'Hara. We rode almost to Michigan Bluff. I slowed way down going up an out,
simply because a fellow in front had a horse that went dead stop for 10 minutes and Matt, being in front of him,
kept going. No big deal but it sure was a interesting discussion. Oh, well it will be continued later. This year I liked
Michigan Bluff. It was a quick 15 minute hold. The horse went through really fast, 56/56, and, of course, the
weather, maybe 85 degrees. On to Foresthill the make or break point. Oh, oh, here come Julie and Barbara. Keep

Night was falling as I went into Foresthill, an eerie glow of late sunset, high clouds and chance of rain. The moon
was bright and big but every now and then slipped behind the clouds. I fear Foresthill. No reason, except I'm tired,
it's dark, and all my gear is there for a chicken out.  I went to the vet check and zipped through, now the
1 hour wait. I look over my shoulder, and oh, oh, there she is....... As I left in the dark, a lonely voice spoke out behind me..'do you know the trail?' and of course I said 'yes' A fellow rider was on her first Tevis and needed a little companionship. No problem. Besides, I had a secret, Matt was going to catch up after his wife got pulled and we
were to o go on to Francisco's. Three minutes later here comes Matt on his stallion and off we go thru town
shouting at the bar patrons and just causing a nuisance. We were both loud. Zoom into the California Loop. Matt
jumped, no lights, no nothing but pure trust in his steed. It was great, probably the most fun, if such a thing exists
on Tevis. The gal riding with us stuck to us and in turn Matt protected her by shouting turn signals and obstacles
as they jumped up.

Matt can RIDE! It didn't take long for us to start passing slower horses in the dark on zig-zags at speed. Whoever
she was, she kept up with us and we even picked up on others. Some people have no brains, me included. Alas, the fun ended when we came up to a 20 horse train at a walk. No passing here. Later it improved when the leader
of the 20 horses admitted she was scared to jog in the dark. Matt to the front. Yahoo! 30 horses jogging to Francisco's.

What a view, Full Moon, Horses, Glow Lights from Space, Jogging, The River Below, Mountains Above, Hoof Beats,
Clanking Equipment and Dust. Some fun. When I went into Francisco's, I had a real upbeat feeling. There's a bridge you cross in your mind when you see the lights, knowing that you just might make the finish line.

Francisco's stands as a lighthouse, a safe spot in the night, the only light of everything is ok for horses and rider.
What a crowd! Everyone was there. There must have been 50 riders just standing around. It was crazy. I went fast
to the vet line and got lucky, two horses ahead, then boom 15 behind me-- wow! One minute makes a difference in
24 hours. All was well so it's time to have a drink, let the horse eat and enjoy the scene. It was almost a party. Kids
holding the horse for you, food everywhere, faces you haven't seen since Robinson Flat, such fun. Then, oh, oh,
there's Julie and Barbara, better get going. I left Francisco's with Mike Tracy and we did the little on, little off
shuffle. Soon we caught up to Matt who was riding with someone now who needed company Mike wanted to hurry
on so I let him go, opting for the walk to Auburn. Why screw up now? 3 hours to go and 10 miles. I can make it,

If you have ever ridden Tevis at night you would have an indelible memory of the glow of the Lower Quarry. It's as
surreal as a Van Gogh painting. Vision flood lights against the jagged mountainside, causing
300-400 foot shadows and bright spots, river roaring white cutting below rugged rocks and flat grassy plateaus,
nothing short of a wake up call, 'Is this for real?'
The lights are there for the Vet check, the last one, go or no go. Many a rider gets pulled here. Get in, get checked,
get out of there! I dread The Quarry, I'm almost there, now, no, no, please, just the finish line. All is well, less than a
minute to meet 68, a 15 minute hold and on to the finish line. As I left, Matt and I missed signals and we left
separately, both walking, lots of time to go, no big deal. I met a couple of riders and went across no-hands bridge
and on up to the finish, but at a walk. Why do something stupid now? It's been a long day and to finish is to win.

Going across the finish had to be the best. There's Judith Ogus and a couple of members to cheer, that's what we
want, someone to let us know we are done. Horse is healthy, trots with ears up, not bad. Over to the stadium, one
last check, then the victory lap. That got interesting on the outside turn going for home. Remember, Ibn is an
ex-race horse and still had it in him. :( see additional notes, page 7)

Other notes from Steve Lenheim on Tevis 2000.

A horse went over the edge outside of Deadwood and was thought dead. Next day they found him alive
and well against a tree and quite happy. With a little work, they built a trail and walked him out. The winner, Judy
Reems is a local and a good friend of many club members. Her horse, Benji likes some of us. The Haggin Cup for
the Best Conditioned Horse was won by Elise Geske riding Ravi Das owned by Jazon Wonders.

259 started, 126 finished, 49% Over 25 horses treated for metabolics, very high.

                                by Marvin Snowbarger

     No, I'm not late, in a hurry, or compulsive.  It's just that, to run 50 miles(and get ready to run a 100 miles), I've
got to run a great many training miles and finish 3 qualifiers(50 mile runs completed in less than 12 hours).  That's
more running than I ever realized.  With my sights set on next year's Western States 100 Mile Run(the Tevis trail for
the horse people), I've got to get my qualifiers out of the way.

This is the story.
     Last year at this time I had 2 of the 3 qualifiers "in the bank".  I had finished The American River 50M in 11:42,
and the Quicksilver 50M in 11:47.  Then, in September '99, I finished the Sierra Nevada Double Marathon(52.4 miles) in qualifying time.

     But qualifying is only 1 part of the requirements for the Western States Run.  Additionally, my name would have
to be drawn in the November '99 lottery.  Well, it wasn't and I was both relieved(because I didn't want my try to be in 2000) and pleased(because, having not been drawn in both the '98 and '99 lotteries, I would be a guaranteed
selection in the 2000 lottery -- for the 2001 WS Run).

     So, as I write this, now, at 35K feet in the air on my way to the Elk Valley Endurance Ride(horses) and Endurance Run(people) in Grant, Pennsylvania(3 hours northeast of Pittsburgh) on Sunday, July 9, I'm in a bind and trying to
get out.  I've run four 50M events this year and failed to qualify in all of them: American River, Quicksilver, Bishop
High Sierra, and Salt Lake City Squaw Peak.

     Obviously, I'm running out of time(unintended, but, nonetheless appropriate, pun), which explains my trip to Elk
Valley.  Hopefully, this will be a successful effort and I'll get my first qualifier behind me.

     My overall plan is to complete the qualification runs, send in my entry to Western States, and, then, in November, await my automatic inclusion into next year's WS Run.  If I retire from San Jose State at the end of
January, 2001, I'll have about 5 months to prepare for the Run, which will be held in June.  I hope everything falls
into place because I see my training and 100M Run as the equivalent of a Rolex Watch.  Isn't that what you get
when you retire to your rocking chair and begin bouncing your grand kids off your knee?

                         editor's note: All of Quicksilver is rooting  for Marvin. See  next page for more.

                               by Marvin Snowbarger

     I've had this event on my calendar for a month or more because I was looking for a mini-vacation and a 50M
Western States qualifying run.  Besides, with summer school classes ending on Thursday, July 6, I was free for 6

     The Endurance Ride/Run was held in Grant, PA, about a 3 hour drive northeast of Pittsburgh.  Even without the
run, the trip through Pennsylvania would have been worth it because the country-side was lush green, heavily
wooded, and liberally patched with a light blush-colored ground cover -- a beautiful sight.  Sometimes you get
doubly lucky.

     Actually, triple lucky: the event, the drive, and the weather,  which was perfect.  The forecast for Sunday, the day
of the Run, was for thunderstorms, but they held off until I sat down after crossing the finish line.  Literally, that's
when the rain started.

     The endurance ride had about 50-60 horses(both days), but could have been 40 horses larger had there not been private property problems.  The endurance run had about 20 runners.  Both events covered the same 4 loops, all in
a clover-leaf pattern, and all returning to camp after each loop.  I appreciated having the company of the horses on
the trail(as did the other runners).  Although the horses traveled faster, the vet checks and lunch hold kept us
somewhat together.  The runners don't get breaks like that;  we are on running-time(an apt description, I might

     As for my effort, I did make the 12 hour cut-off(11:51) and got the first of my 3 qualifiers that I'll need for the
Western States 100M Run next year.  But let me tell you, it wasn't easy, and I wouldn't have made it had not Joyce
unexpectedly met me at the last aid station(mile 43) and coaxed me in(actually, she offered to let me ride in the car
-- we got a laugh out of that and it(the laugh) definitely helped).  Until I saw her, I had pretty much written off a
successful run.  The difficulty of the course had taken its toll and I was one discouraged runner want-to-be.  Of
course, my eventual completion wasn't helped by the Elk-cow and her baby who blocked the trail about 3/4 of a
mile from the finish line, and, as my time was expiring.  The situation was tense for a minute or two, but I finally got
her to move, and that was without her charging me!  After that incident, and with an adrenaline-high, I had it made.

     I'm headed for the Mt. Hood area of Oregon in mid-August for qualifier-attempt #2.  I've got a month, now, to
increase my training--which has its consequences:  no endurance training on my horse, minimal-to-zero weight
training, a life-style commitment to extended run-training, and for me, personally, a 10 to 15 pound
negative-fluctuation in my weight.  But, you know what, I'm always hungry!


     ---When you're good, it's hard not to brag---

50,000 miles.  But did she quit!  Not on your life.  Trilby's lifetime achievement of 50,000  miles was not enough for
this indomitable spirit.  Going now for 51,  it is sort of like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.  You can quit  or keep
going.  And  no one has to guess the answer with this gal.  She's  keeping going.

Ken Cook's Rocky  showed everybody  his pretty grey tail at both  the Cooley Ranch Ride and the following week at
Oakland Hills.  Two great performance put a smile on Ken's face that was hard to wipe off.

Skip LIghtfoot and Ride and Tie partner, Tom Johnson,  walked off with the National Ride and Tie Championship
held in June. Skips good horse,  Split,   was the third member of the team and he really proved himself   that day.
(Also  on Tevis day when he finished 4th with Tom Johnson aboard.

Mark Falcone ran the 100 Mile Western States Run and then turned around   three weeks later and rode the same
trail on Tevis Cup Day.  This time his good horse,  did the foot  work,  but everyone knows there is far more to the
Tevis Cup  Ride  than just sitting on the horse. To my knowledge, this is a first for a  Quicksilver  member. Congratulations Mark!

Lori Oleson's Kassiq who everyone had given up much hope of ever returning to endurance work after a severe
illness, made us all eat our words by  completing all five days of the 250 mile Ft. Schellborne Pony Express Ride.
 See      page 7  for Lori's story. which includes the other Quicksilver members who completed all five days.

Nancy Elliot has been chosen as the head veterinarian for the United States Endurance Team going to France for
the year 2000 World Championship.   Another Quicksilver member that is excelling.

A gem from the Internet--sung to the the tune of
"The Impossible Dream"

 To muck the unmuckable stall.
  To groom the ungroomable horse.
 To sweep the unsweepable floor.
  To jump the unjumpable course.
 This is my quest ...To follow my dream
  No matter how silly or stupid it seems
 To fight for the right
  With a pitchfork and rake
 To get to those shavings
  Before it's too late.
 And I know if I don't lose my mind
  Between 7 and 9.
 They'll let me go home when I'm through serving my time.
  But I know that the barn will be better for this.
 That one fool, scorned and covered with grit.
  Still strove .. with one last ounce of courage.
 To muck the unmuckable stall!!

Published by the Quicksilver Endurance Riders Inc.
P.O. Box 71, New Almaden, CA 95042
Julie Suhr, Editor TEL and FAX 831-335-5933